Thursday, March 4, 2010

2nd BATXILLERAT - Food for thought

"We look forward to a world founded upon four essential human freedoms.
The first is freedom of speech and expression - everywhere in the world. The second is freedom of every person to worship God in his own way - everywhere in the world. The third is freedom from want... The fourth is freedom from fear."

(Franklin D. Roosvelt, Message to Congress, 6 January 1941, in
Public Papers vol 9)

ASSIGNMENT for the oral exam Fri, March 4th:
1. Choose one of these 4 rights and find arguments to support it. Use expressions like: Roosvelt said that..., In my opinion..., I (don't) agree with..., He is (not) right when he says that...
2. Learn the quotation by heart.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Agustí!

    Is the first time that I am here and i liked very much, above all the videos, I think they are very interesting. I have an idea for the blog: You can put some jokes in the blog, but only the good jokes... xD

    Well, I have to go, to study english.
    I will come back another times.
    Bye everybody ;)

    Jesús.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my opinion the most import human right is the third, which is freedom from want because it represents the basic personal necessities for life.

    If people don´t have a food, if they don´t have a job, if they don´t have a house…Then there is no just society, and so they can’t fight for less fundamental rights.

    Roosevelt spoke about “four essential human freedoms”. However (no obstante) of this four, three are abstract rights or freedoms whereas the third, freedom from want, is the primordial right in any society that of survival.

    For a example, what use is freedom of speech if you haven’t got work to pay your necessities, what use is freedom of religion when your children have no bed to sleep in.

    Freedom from fear is connected to that of want because how can you not be frightened with the threat of hunger, day after day.


    Pau Culillas
    2nd BACH. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m agree with everything he says. I think it's very important that human beings are free to express themselves, to worship God in his own way to live without poverty and not be afraid. For me, all four are very important, but which support a lot of strength is that of poverty because they often think of those children in the third world who are starving and that politicians do not take care to solve this problem, because for me it is one of the most serious problems on our planet.



    byeee!!



    Alba Ivorra
    2n BTX B

    ReplyDelete

Kindly send me your comments. I'll publish them as soon as I can.